Posted by Yoko Kuramoto-Eidsmoe
November 19, 2020
Flu season is here, and getting your flu shot is an important way for both caregivers and consumers to stay healthy — especially those who are medically vulnerable 😷.
This year, it’s more important than ever to avoid the flu, because:
- While COVID-19 is NOT the flu, some of its symptoms can be very similar. Not coming down with the flu means not having that worry and confusion.
- Avoiding symptoms means not having to go out to get a COVID-19 test.
- You could catch both COVID-19 and flu at the same time, which may make it more difficult for your body to fight both infections.
- As is true every year, the flu can be deadly on its own. Risk factors for serious cases include:
- Age (over 65).
- History of heart disease or stroke.
- Lung disease or asthma.
- Chronic conditions and weak immune systems.
- Cancer and cancer treatment.
Get a Free Flu Shot!
If you are a caregiver enrolled in any health plan through SEIU 775 Benefits Group, you can get a flu shot for free! You will receive a voucher from SavRx in the mail, and you can use it at your local pharmacy. SEIU 775 Benefits Group health plans also offer other ways to get a free shot. Please see the SEIU 775 Benefits Group’s flu shot resources page for details.
Washington Apple Health (Medicaid) pays for flu shots given according to CDC guidelines, which recommend a flu shot every year.
If you are covered by original Medicare, you can get a free flu shot if your healthcare provider accepts assignment for providing a flu shot. Also, Medicare Part B covers one shot per flu season.
Uninsured people in Washington state can get a free flu shot at Albertsons and Safeway pharmacies listed on the state’s Department of Health website.
Medical clinics and pharmacies are taking precautions to avoid COVID-19, and you can call them in advance for more information on what is being done at the one you plan to go to. For more information on flu and COVID-19, please see the Centers for Disease Control’s web page.
Staying healthy allows you to keep working and receiving care. You can use Carina for free to find a consumer or a caregiver. And if caregivers do get sick, use Carina to find back-up care. Try Carina today!